(Ottawa, Kansas – November 1, 2019) –Superintendent Ryan Cobbs announced today USD 290 was recognized as an award winner for the Midwest Region of Cognia, formerly AdvancED. The institution received the 2019 Values Driven Award of Excellence presented at the 2019 Midwest Region Fall Conference in Chicago, Illinois on October 30.
Cognia is a non-profit, continuous improvement organization that conducts rigorous, on-site reviews of a variety of educational institutions and provides resources, tools and support to education leaders across the globe to ensure all learners realize their full potential. Nominations for this award were received from a variety of sources including volunteers, Engagement Review team members, Lead Evaluators, Field Consultants, Cognia Advisory Committee members, and staff.
Becky Densmore, Cognia Vice President Midwest stated, “Cognia is a mission driven organization supported by our core values. The Values Driven Award of Excellence recognizes institutions in the Midwest who systematically and systemically model these values through their day-to-day efforts to improve outcomes for their students.”
These values include:
- Dream Big. We are not constrained by the current environment or framework even as we work within existing systems.
- Stand for the Learner. We represent the interests of all learners with a commitment to equity and integrity.
- Be Bold and Daring. We take risks that support our beliefs.
- Drive Potential. We create and initiate change, growth and innovation in our work but also among each other. We embrace the individuality we bring and strive for excellence as a team.
- Be Tenacious. We are relentless in pursuing our mission.
- Build Connections. We expand and nurture our internal and external relationships.
“USD 290, serving the Ottawa community, clearly demonstrates the Cognia Values by its commitment to stand for the learner. They encourage higher levels of student learning through guided instruction which drives potential and fosters growth. This innovative spirit meets learners where they are and encourages their educational experience. They have demonstrated their commitment to building connections through an early childhood program to meet the needs of the community while also providing the foundational skills needed in order for their students to find success in future grades. Ottawa has demonstrated themselves as a bold and daring institution not fearful of change, and in turn are creating results.” commented Shannon Vogler, Cognia Regional Director.
Parents and interested community members can learn more about Cognia at www.cognia.org
For a copy of the full press release click here.
Combining the knowledge and expertise of a research institute, the skills of a management consulting firm and the passion of a grassroots movement for educational change, we serve as a trusted partner to 36,000 educational institutions—employing more than four million educators and enrolling more than 20 million students—across the United States and over 70 other nations.