Our AVID parents are an important part of our AVID team. Parents are provided information and support through various means so they can encourage and support their children to succeed. In this manner, the learning doesn't stop at school at the end of the school day but continues at home. Family events and other opportunities for parent involvement are also offered throughout the year.
Ways to help your child at home
- Show interest in his/her progress.
- Be aware of your child's classes and his/her performance in each.
- Praise your child's strengths and help him/her find ways to improve in areas that need improvement.
- Ask to look at your child's AVID binder, which is inspected every Friday during the AVID elective class.
- Review your child's AVID tutorial request forms to see what kinds of questions he/she is asking in class.
- Find our who your child's friends are.
- Be enthusiastic and supportive. Your child's participation in AVID will keep him/her motivated and excited about reaching the goal of attending a four-year college or university.
- Provide a quiet place free of noise and distraction where your child can study and do his/her homework.
- Show that you care by asking your child what topic(s) he/she is studying in a particular class.
- Be positive and give praise when your student takes notes.
- Be an audience for your child. Listen as he/she recites or shares what he/she is reading.
- Ask questions to help your child clarify or thing more deeply about what he/she is reading.
- Help your student prepare for tests by asking questions he/she has written from lecture or textbook notes.
- Teach your child to be a role model/leader in the classroom.
- Be aware of courses your child needs to take to graduate from middle school and then high school.
- Be aware of upcoming exams.
- Encourage your child to become involved in extracurricular activities that interest him/her and to keep track of his/her participation.
- Encourage your child to become involved in community service organizations.
- Understand that the AVID teacher/coordinator, counselors and director are available to answer questions and to provide information about middle school, high school and college. Call upon them whenever needed.