Frequently Asked Questions

If my child is struggling academically, behaviorally, or socially, what should I do?

    • Talk to your child's teacher and/or principal and express your concerns.
    • Each school has a Student Improvement Team (SIT) process which helps to meet the needs of students. If a teacher and/or parent have concerns about a student, that child is brought to the SIT team. The team members brainstorm ideas for interventions which can be tried within the classroom.
    • After SIT interventions have been implemented, if the SIT team determines more supports may be needed by a student, a referral is made for a Special Education evaluation.

What happens when the SIT team decides to refer my child for an evaluation for special education?

    • Parents are notified of this recommendation, and requested to sign consent for evaluation of their child.
    • Once written consent is obtained, the team has up to 60 school days to complete the evaluation.
    • Areas that are evaluated can include:
      • Intelligence
      • Academics
      • Fine and/or gross motor
      • Communication
      • Social, emotional, and/or behavioral
      • Health including hearing and vision screenings
    • At the completion of the evaluation process, the evaluation team will meet with parents to review the evaluation results.
    • If the child is determined to have needs that would best be met through Special Education intervention, a team comprised of the child's parents, general education teacher, special education teacher, school administrator, and pertinent special education staff meet to develop an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). If the child is of an appropriate age, he/she may also be invited to the IEP meeting.

What are the areas of exceptionality?

State and federal regulations have been established to define children with exceptionalities. A child with an exceptionality means a child evaluated in accordance with the federal and/or state regulations as having:

    • Autism
    • Developmental Delay ( age 9 and younger)
    • Emotional Disturbance
    • Gifted
    • Intellectual Disability
    • Multiple Disabilities
    • Orthopedic Impairment
    • Other Health Impairment
    • Sensory Impairments
    • Hearing Impairment, Deafness, Visual Impairment, Blindness, Deaf-blindness
    • Speech/Language Impairment
    • Traumatic Brain Injury
    • Definitions of these exceptionalities can be found on the KSDE website at http://www.ksde.org

What are "related services"?

  • Related services are special education services which help support students in their special education programs.
  • Services may address the areas of motor, communication, vision, and/or hearing.
  • Occupational and/or physical therapists can help students with: mobility, balance, positioning, functional hand skills, self-management, pre-vocational skills, and social skills.
  • Speech-language therapists can help students with: articulation, rate of speech, speech pattern, expressive language, receptive language, listening comprehension, and following oral directions.

What happens if my child moves to USD 290 with an IEP?

    • If a student that is already on an IEP transfers to USD 290, the parent needs to inform the school and/or the Special Services office that the student is in special education.
    • The school and/or the Special Services office will request the IEP from the previous school.
    • Once the IEP is received, special education staff will review the IEP and determine if the services can be implemented as it is stated in the IEP or if changes need to be made.
    • If it is determined that a change is needed, the special education teacher will schedule a meeting with the parent to obtain written consent (if needed) and discuss possible changes in services and/or placement.

What happens if my child moves to another school district with an IEP?

    • If a student that is already on an IEP transfers out of USD 290, the parents should inform the Special Services office that the student is moving.
    • It is also very important that the parent inform the new school district that the student is on an IEP so that the school district can request the student's special education records from USD 290.
    • A request for the special education records should be sent to the MIS clerk at the Special Services office.
    • Records will be sent within approximately 1-2 business days after receiving the request.